Algonkian Golf Course remains one of the area’s most popular public courses, featuring 18 challenging holes, measuring almost 7,000 yards from the tips, perfect for the serious golfer but forgiving enough for the occasional player. Located along the Potomac River, golfers will find a long, mature tree lined front nine with water in play on three holes, paired with a rolling back nine, dotted with an in-play stream on four holes. Bermuda grass fairways, which give way to large greens, provide the perfect playing surface. Golfers will especially enjoy Algonkian’s signature holes on number 6 – a mammoth, 526 yard par 5 (dog leg left), as well as number 16 – a par 3 that plays up to 240 yards, with a wide but not particularly deep green.
History / Architect
Algonkian Golf Course was originally designed in 1962 by Ed Ault. Ault designed courses in 19 of the 50 United States, and remolded courses in 13 states and in Canada, Puerto Rico, and Switzerland. NOVA Parks acquired Algonkian Golf Course, along with Algonkian Regional Park, in 1975.
Rules & Etiquette
- Only players who have registered at the clubhouse, spectators accompanying them and members of the NOVA Parks staff are permitted on the golf course.
- The hitting of practice balls on the lawn, walks, traps or tees while waiting to play is prohibited.
- Only players in groups positioned to tee off are permitted on the starting tee.
- Climbing the face of a bunker is prohibited.
- Each player must have a bag with at least six clubs. Clubs are available for rent for those who require.
- Players and spectators must wear shirts and shoes (and appropriate golf attire) at all times.
- Children ages 7-13 must pay the appropriate greens fees and cart fees and be under the close supervision of a playing adult at all times. Non-players under the age of 14 years old are not permitted on the course. Non-players 14 years old and older must pay applicable cart fees when riding with an adult.
- Driving the golf carts in a reckless manner is strictly prohibited.
- A maximum of two passengers may ride in a golf cart at one time.
- Golf carts or cars are not permitted in restricted areas.
- Keep pull and power carts thirty feet from greens and off of tee boxes.
The Algonkian Golf Course snack bar offers sandwiches, grill items, breakfast muffins, hot and cold beverages, candy and chips. Inside and patio seating is available. Algonkian also offers several different beer options, both domestic and craft.
Weddings / Events
Nestled on the wooded banks of the Potomac River and along Algonkian’s beautiful golf course, the Woodlands at Algonkian provides a beautiful, natural setting for a picturesque wedding or event.