About Nova Parks
Utility companies, businesses, homeowners, public and private entities, and others must obtain permits from the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority to use park property for construction. Permits are required for both temporary and permanent uses. There are fees to process a permit.
The permitting program protects our regional parks by discouraging unnecessary encroachments, minimizing inconvenience to park patrons, lessening damage to park land and facilities, and providing standards for construction and restoration.
Examples of Uses Requiring Permits
- Utilities: sanitary sewer, water, gas, fiber optic, telephone, wireless communications, electric, and cable television
- Roadway and driveway improvements
- Grading and any other land disturbing activities
- Storm drainage facilities
- Geotechnical testing
- Locating underground utilities
- Trails and sidewalks- including connections
- Landscaping and fencing
- Replacing, upgrading and relocating existing facilities and improvements
Note: For construction projects affecting the W&OD Park, consent is required from Dominion Virginia Power to encroach upon its easement, which encompasses the entire park. Contact Dominion at 571-203-5085.
Note: For Special Use Applications, The Bull Run Special Events Center and the W&OD Trail has its own permit application. For more information please call Bull Run at (703) 631-0550 or the W&OD Trail office at (703) 729-0596
Department of Planning & Development
5400 Ox Road
Fairfax Station, VA 22039